April 16, 2013

It All Starts Here


I quit my job yesterday. And not just any job, but the job that I went to school for. The job that I have spent the last 10 years building a career around. The job that has paid me and insured me and been the place I go to almost every day of my life for the past 7 years.

The build-up to quitting this job has been going on for almost a year now. I knew it was going to happen at some point, but the point at which I was going to jump off the bridge was always on a sliding scale. Until it wasn't anymore.

So I did it. I jumped. And while my heart was still racing from hitting the "Send" button on my official resignation email to my boss, two bombs went off in Boston and confirmed for me once and for all that there will always be things happening the world that are bigger than me and what goes on in my head.

 BOOM. Welcome to the next stage of your life. Now - get to work.

Hi! I'm Jenn. And this is a blog about my quest to change my life, one day at a time.

If ever there was a blank slate, that time is now. I am jobless (well, salary jobless - I do still have some part-time gigs which I will talk more about later), I am single (I broke up with the man I thought I would be living with by now, the man who I thought at one point I was going to marry and would father my children, the day after Valentine's Day - romantic, right?), and I have a hunger and an ambition to do awesome things with my life (between April 15, 2010 and April 15, 2011 I lost 100 pounds, by April 15, 2012 was training for the Chicago Marathon, and am now training for the 2013 Chicago Triathlon).

There's something about spring that signals change for me. Maybe it's the memories of my mother's avid Spring House Cleaning schedule every year that always started around now. But April 15 has been an anniversary date of sorts for me for the past few years, and here we are again; Tax Day, the day some horrible person attempted to blow up Boston, and the day that my new life begins.

Today is full of spirit. As a runner, I feel the support seeping out from the community in so many forms for the Boston tragedy. And as my official resignation announcement makes the rounds at my place of work, I am feeling the support from those who have my back and believe in me, no matter what I set out to do.

Of course, I do have some plans...

Won't you follow along with me?


1 comment:

  1. Good luck with your super big changes! I'm happy for you for quitting a job and a career that wasn't making you happy and wish you all the best in the next step along the path. Oh by the way, this is Mocoholo from sparkpeople. I have a blog too, although I'm switching back to sparkpeople for a bit to focus on my fitness stuff. Maybe I'll juggle two blogs or cross publish. Who knows. Anyway, this is about you and I'm here to support you!!

    ReplyDelete